The Perfect Learning Kit for Children Age 10 and Above
Check out the microbit V2 vs V1.5 by the young maker, Jayden Lam:
Well, as the name says, this is the enhanced version of the micro:bit controller.
micro:bit V2 vs micro:bit 1.5
micro:bit is a tiny microcontroller board with a powerful ecosystem, and it is being built by the BBC. This BBC micro:bit is a pocket-sized computer that lets you get creative with digital technology. You can code, customize, and control your micro:bit from anywhere! You can use your micro:bit for all sorts of unique creations, from robots to musical instruments and more.
Note: Each order contains just the micro:bit board.
At half the size of a credit card, you will be surprised at the amount of hardware each board is equipped with, including 25 red LED lights that can flash messages. There are two programmable buttons that can be used to control games or pause and skip songs on a playlist. The micro:bit can even detect motion and tell you which direction you’re heading. It can also use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) to interact with other devices and the Internet.
Taking a closer look at the front of the V2 board, we can see the 5x5 LED array is still there for you to draw on, display words, numbers, and other information, and of course the two programmable cute buttons!
V2 board comes with a MEMS microphone input hole and a mic indicator LED. If the sound input is enabled in the program or your code, the mic indicator will be illuminated. And not to forget the micro:bit logo, it is now a capacitive touch sensor. If you look carefully, it is now gold plated PCB instead of the color mask on the previous version board :) So it can be used to detect touch. Awesome improvement!
On the back of the board, you will find the upgraded brains of the micro:bit. The microcontroller on the micro:bit V2 has been upgraded to nRF52833 with double the memory size to 512KB Flash, and an 8 times larger size of RAM to 128KB. With the upgrades of the main controller, micro:bit V2 is now Bluetooth 5.1 and also BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy).
Besides the MCU, the co-microcontroller that handles USB connection, KL26Z with 16KB RAM is being upgraded to KL27Z with 32KB of RAM too. micro:bit V2 still comes with an accelerometer, compass, and Bluetooth Smart antenna, as well as a micro USB and two-pin JST connector for different power options.
Finally, at the bottom of the board, you will still get the 20 gold-tabbed edge pins however, the five-ring connectors (three for digital/analog I/O, two for power and ground) for hooking up external components now come with notched edges. These notched edges will help the insert into the socket. And you can always use the crocodile/alligator clip :)
Of course, the intuitive mobile app that lets you send your code to your micro:bit over Bluetooth (without using a USB cable) and more remains compatible with the new micro:bit V2. With this app, you will be able to interact with your micro:bit on a higher level of accessibility.
Check out some of the projects with micro:bit V2:
Bumblebee - get the micro:bit buzz:
Sensing and making sound on the BBC micro:bit:
The Smart Home Kit: Practical Kit to Learn Digital Making
Check out the video we did use this smart home kit, this is Smart Fan:
The Smart Home Kit comes with many sensors and actuators that enable kids to learn about digital making, especially in making smart home projects based on micro:bit. We select components commonly used at home as the TMP36 temperature sensor, sound sensor, crash sensor, servo, motor. Children can build scenes like windowsill, wardrobe and fish tank, create their own smart sweet home and program to intelligently drives it using micro:bit. The smart home is what makes life more practical and playing with it is what makes life more interesting.
Voice Activated Light
- micro:bit Smar Home Kit:
- Designed and packed for micro:bit
- Plug and use connection
- Rich tutorial cases
- Connect limitless creativity with different sensors
- micro:bit V2:
- The latest version of micro:bit
- 32-bit ARM Cortex-M4 CPU
- Main microcontroller: Nordic Semiconductor nRF52833
- Clock Speed: 64MHz
- Memory size: 512KB Flash
- RAM size: 128KB RAM
- USB Interface: NXP KL27Z with 32KB RAM
- 5x5 LED Matrix Display (Red LEDs)
- Two Programmable Buttons
- Touch Sensitive micro:bit logo
- Additional Power Indicator LED and Mic input indicator LED
- Built-in MEMS microphone input
- Onboard Accelerometer, Compass, Light and Temperature Sensors
- Wireless Communication, via Bluetooth 5.1 and BLE and 2.4GHz Radio
- Edge Connectors:
- Total 25 pins: 20 smaller pitch-to-pitch pins, 5 RINGS Notched Edge pins
- 4 Dedicated GPIO, PWM, I2C, SPI, Power and etc.
- 5 Ring pins for connecting crocodile clips or banana plugs
- 20-pin Edge Connectors, 5 notched edge Connectors
- Dedicated I2C bus for peripherals
- Power Button to power off the MCU
- Micro USB Type-B Connector
- JST-PH Battery Connector (Not JST-XH)
- Reset Button with Status LED
- Available current for external devices: 200mA
- Programming Platform: C++, Makecode, Python, Scratch
- Size: 5cm (w) x 4cm (h)
- 1 x micro:bit V2 mainboard
- 1 x micro:bit Smart Home Kit
- 1 x 3V sensor:bit
- 1 x Crystal Battery Box - 2 x AAA
- 1 x Crash E-Blocks
- 1 x TMP36 temperature sensor E-blocks
- 1 x Rainbow LED E-blocks
- 1 x Simulation noise sensor E-blocks
- 1 x Light sensor E-blocks
- 1 x Soil Moisture sensor E-blocks
- 1 x Relay E-blocks
- 1 x DC Motor E-blocks
- 1 x 180º Servo E-blocks
- 1 x Submersible pump E-blocks
- 1 x Screw Driver
- 1 x Micro-B USB Cable
- 1 x OLED Display
- 1 x Smart Home kit manual book
- Introduction to Smart Home Kit
- Introduction to sensor:bit
- Case01：Voice-activated Lights
- Case02：Smart Fan
- Case03：Auto Windows
- Case04：Smart Wardrobe
- Case05：Water Level Alarming
- Case 06: Smart Telecontrol Door Opener
- Case 07: Smart Decibel Tester
- Case 08: Simple Spirometer
- Case 09: Lie Detector
- Case 10: Simple Alarm Box
- Case 11: Intruder Detection System
- Cytron tutorial: Smart Home Kit - Smart Fan, with video the steps
- Cytron tutorial: Smart Home Kit - Voice Activated Light, with video and guides