The enclosure (box) itself is made of a piece of thick paper with a special cutoff and dedicated openings/holes for the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B board. You will need to do some folding and flipping during the assembly of the box! It is fun building your own box! Worry about making mistakes? You can always follow the simple yet detailed instructions here.
The box comes with a cooling fan and it is ready to be mounted into the enclosure to make your Raspberry Pi 4 Model B cool!
If that is not sufficient, there are 4 extra heatsinks for passive cooling :) You can add those heatsinks on the CPU, RAM, USB controller, Ethernet IC or Power Management IC.
Note: Don't forget to peel the protective sheet bottom of every heatsink to stick it on the dedicated IC.
Even though it is made of paper, it is well designed to protect the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B board while providing the access to all necessary ports:
- 2 x USB 2.0 port
- 2 x USB 3.0 port
- 1 x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port
- 1 x USB-C for Power Input
- 2 x micro HDMI as multimedia output
- 1 x 3.5mm Audio and Video composite jack
- 1 x microSD card slot
- 1 x DSI FFC cable opening
- 1 x CSI FFC cable opening
- 1 x 40-pin GPIO opening
- 1 x Activity LED
- 1 x Power LED
- 1 x Mounting hole for cooling fan
Besides the openings, all interfaces are labeled for a better user experience.
You can selectively poke certain openings/holes depending on your preferences. Just make sure not to peel off the paper printing :)
Not to worry, your Raspberry Pi 4 Model B board can be mounted securely, yet no screw or nut is needed to achieve this. This box comes with rivets for that. Just align the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B board into the assembled box, hold the board and flip it together with the box. Insert the WHITE rivets into respective mounting holes and it is done!
The same method applies to the cooling fan, just use the BLACK rivets to mount it to the box securely. The cooling fan should be mounted underneath the cover/lid. Again, no screw or nut is needed.
With the cooling fan attached effortlessly, you should connect the wire so it can be powered through the GPIO. Here is the connection to 5V and GND on the Raspberry Pi's 40-pin GPIO.
Note: The box comes with a cooling fan and 4 heatsinks. It DOES NOT come with a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B:
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 8GB
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2GB
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 1GB
We have also run a stress test with Raspberry Pi 4 Model B in this paper box. This is just one of the many methods you can use to benchmark the thermal performance of the enclosure or heatsink. The test consists of two parts which are cooling and continuing with the stress test. The stress test loads the CPU to 100% and logs the temperature. The cooling fan keeps the CPU cool at under 80ºC, the maximum clock speed is at 1.8GHz.
As you can see from the chart, the fan plays an important role in cooling the Raspberry Pi board :) So make sure you install and power it.
- An Environmentally Friendly Paper Box, biodegradable, green for the Earth
- Designed for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and compatible with:
- Made of one piece of thick paper
- Comes with two cooling methods:
- Active cooling via the cooling fan
- Passive cooling via the 4 x heatsink
- Easy to Assemble, No screw nor nut needed
- Provide flexibility to open the cover and access to the internal interface such as GPIO, DSI, and CSI
- Included heatsinks for the CPU, RAM, USB controller, and Ethernet Controller
- Easy to mount method for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and Cooling fan, using rivets
- Red in color
- Clear Label for all interface ports
- Openings for all interfaces
- Dimension: 92mm (length) x 62mm (width) x 26mm (height)
- 1 x Environmentally Friendly Maker Box for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B
- 4 x Black Rivets for mounting the cooling fan to the box (might have extra)
- 4 x White Rivets for mounting the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B board to the box (might have extra)
- 1 x 30 x 30 x 8mm Cooling Fan for active cooling
- 1 x Four pieces heatsink for passive cooling
- Instruction Manual, pdf