*This shield is Rev2.0 starting April 2016. Check out the changes on Rev2.0 and refer to the User's Manual Rev2.0.
Because of IoT (Internet of Thing), everything should be connected to Internet, a crucial element is WiFi that provides wireless connection to Internet. We have been carrying ESP module and many have used it. However it is not user friendly enough for beginner. The module is 3.3V powered and the pins are not properly broken out. Intergrating it to your microcontroller e.g.: Arduino will require some skill and electronics interface.
With this ESP WiFi shield, it will be plug and use for Arduino user. The shield come preassembled with WROOM-02 module which offers WiFi connection to your Arduino board or project. No additional soldering or wiring needed, just stack the shield on to Arduino UNO, Maker UNO, CT-ARM, CT-UNO or any compatible Arduino main board, select the pins for serial communication with mini jumpers and the hardware connection is completed! Focus in program development, and the good news, there are plenty of libraries that you can utilize, we will show you the steps!
The WROOM-02 comes pre-flashed with an AT-command firmware, so it can be controlled by any UART/Serial, but it also breaks out and provides command access to all of the ESP8266’s I/O. The shield itself does not limit to AT command, we have breakout most of the IO and you can program the WROOM-02 module directly. Whether you want to add AT commands of your own, or flash custom firmware on the ESP8266, this feature may come in handy especially with it utilizing the UART pin selectors.
Besides, we have also provide the option to use microSD card for data storage, if you are doing data logging, it will be a time saver!
This shield comes populated with all components as shown in the images and schematic.
- Arduino R3 Layout, compatible with:
- On board 3.3V voltage regulator for WROOM-02 module, 500mA max current output
- Each and every board is preassembled and tested before it is being shipped out to you
- UART/Serial communication pins can be configured/selected via mini jumpers:
- USB - Direct to Arduino USB to Serial pin for flashing ESP8266 directly
- D0/D1 - Hardware Serial pin of Arduino UNO and CT-UNO
- D2, D3, D8, D9, D10, D11, D12, D13 - Software serial pins
- 802.11 b/g/n
- Support Wi-Fi Direct (P2P), soft-AP
- Integrated TCP/IP protocol stack
- Integrated TR switch, balun, LNA, power amplifier and matching network
- Integrated PLLs, regulators, DCXO and power management units
- Integrated low power 32-bit CPU could be used as application processor
- +19.5dBm output power in 802.11b mode
- Basically Rev2.0 utilize WROOM-02 instead of ESP8266-12 as the WiFi module
- Rev1.0 - With ESP8266-12 module:
- Rev2.0 - with ESP-WROOM-02 module
- Arduino Library and Examples - Github
- ESP WiFi shield firmware - Github
- Maker Uno IoT with ESP8266 Module and Blynk Apps – 1. Hardware Setup (BM)
- Maker Uno IoT with ESP8266 Module and Blynk Apps – 2. Software Setup (BM)
- Maker Uno IoT with ESP8266 Module and Blynk App – 3. Basic Widget (BM)