Note: From 18th May 2020 onwards, 16GB microSD is from Panasonic brand.
This is 16GB, Class A1 micro SD card. Preloaded with NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software), and we are taking it directly from Raspberry Pi Foundation. Yes, all the way from the UK.
I am sure many Raspberry Pi users will have 1 common doubt: What type of microSD card is best for Raspberry Pi? Well, we have been asking the same question since day 1:) Now, let's trust the Raspberry Pi team which is the designer and producer of Raspberry Pi. They recommend Class A1 because of the characteristic of Raspberry Pi accessing the memory on the microSD card. The random read and write speed is critical. For details of Class A1, please refer to here.
"But more and more, memory cards are being used to extend the memory of devices that run apps. Devices like smartphones and mobile gaming consoles. The apps that run on these devices interact with memory space differently. Rather than a stream of sequential data, they want to write a lot of small chunks of data wherever there's space available. That's known as random read/write (compared to sequential read/write that's important for video)." which Raspberry Pi falls into, the operating system will need to read/write data from/to the microSD card in random access.
Besides, this microSD card is preloaded with NOOBS. NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software) is an operating system package from the Raspberry Pi foundation. It is the fastest way to have a variety of operating systems on your Raspberry Pi including the latest Raspberry Pi 4 Model B, and the low-cost Raspberry Pi Zero W. You can now boot multiple OS's such as Raspbian, Kodi, OSMC, etc. There's a bootup menu for selecting which OS you like.
This MicroSD card with NOOBS preloaded is compatible with:
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 1GB
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2GB
- Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4GB
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+
- Raspberry Pi 1 Model A+
- Raspberry Pi Zero
- Raspberry Pi Zero W
- Raspberry Pi Zero WH
- Starting from Oct 2018, the NOOBS's config.txt is edited (Default from Raspberry Pi Foundation)
- It will install Raspbian by default.
- The OS selection table will only appear if you press the SHIFT key when you see the Raspbian (Raspberry Pi Logo) screen.
If you need the latest Operating System, please ensure your Raspberry Pi is connected to the Internet via WiFi or LAN (Ethernet).
And it comes with the SD card adapter for the ease of accessing micro SD from a computer or SD card reader.
- 16GB MicroSD with SD card adapter (Raspberry Pi Logo)
- Brand: Panasonic
- SD Speed Class: Class 10
- UHS Speed Grade: UHS 1
- Application Performance: A1
- Sequential Read >12MB/S (A1 Standard 10MB/S)
- Random IOPS - Read: 2000 IOPS (A1 standard 1500)
- Random IOPS - Write: 500 IOPS (A1 standard 500)
- Recommended and comes from Raspberry Pi Foundation
- Pre-loaded with latest NOOBS
- NOOBs version: 3.3.1 (Release date: 14 February 2020), compatible for all Raspberry Pi boards including Raspberry Pi 4 Model B
Note: In any case, you need to format the MicroSD card and get the latest NOOBS or Raspbian, please get the latest version from Raspberry Pi's Downloads page and you can use the new Imager app from Raspberry Pi Foundation to burn Raspbian Image into this microSD card.
Setting up your Raspberry Pi with NOOBS, from Raspberry Pi Foundation:
What is new in NOOBS V2.9?
- 1 x Panasonic 16GB A1 microSD card, preloaded with NOOBS
- 1 x SD card adapter with Raspberry Pi Logo